Ah, makeup. With millions of products, selecting one can be a bit dicey. You rarely know what is going to work and what isn’t. This is a reason why I love drugstore makeup, instead of shelling out big bucks for a product that ends up not working you’re only out a few bucks. But still, wouldn’t it be nice to narrow down the hunt by knowing which products to avoid? That’s while I decided to compile this list of products I have tried and hated. DISCLAIMER- I am not basing an entire brand when one of their products on this list. Each of these brands also feature products I adore, I have only included the duds. Also! Just because these products didn’t work for me, so if one of your favorite products is on here, by all means carry on. Every one is different so the products that work (or don’t work) for them varies.
- NYC Smooth Skin Liquid Makeup- Yikes. I have tried to like this product because of its super low price point but I just can’t! It oxidizes (turns darker as it dries) horribly! Before I can even begin to blend it has already oxidized making for a patchy look that in no Bueno and makes it super hard to match your skin tone, also the coverage leaves something to be desired. There is a pro however- the lid comes with a mini spatula for scooping out product when you’re running low which I now use with my favorite foundations.
- Covergirl Clean Liquid Foundation- The scent of this alone makes me loathe this product. It smells just like VapoRub, that chemically menthol scent. Ugh, the smell gives me flashbacks to my middle school days. Add in oxidization, and a runny consistency and you have a pretty crappy product
- L.A. Colors Pump Liquid Foundation- Even the lightest shade makes you look like an oompa loompa and the coverage is totally not there. While just a dollar some may end up reaching for it but it honestly, in my opinion, is not even worth a dollar.
- ELF Perfect Blend Concealer- This product does not do its job. Concealer is meant to, well, conceal (duhhh) and this product is way too sheer for that. Also, it oxidizes and even the lightest shade was too dark for me (pale girl problems)
- L.A. Colors Wet to Cry Makeup and Concealer Stick- I wanted to love this I really did. 2 products for a dollar, who wouldn’t want to love it? But alas, the incredibly hard to blend consistency and the way it patches up seems to draw attention to flaws instead of hide them
- Covergirl TruBlend Minerals Bronzer- Not only is it freaking ORANGE, the chunky glitter makes you look like you got slapped in the face with a sparkly cheeto. Add in patchiness and hard to blend and you have a pretty bad product. Definitely avoid this if the look you’re going for is naturally sunkissed.
- Wet N Wild ColorIcon Eyeline Pencil- This product wears off in a matter of minutes, has barely any pigment, and is hard to get a smooth application. No, no and NO.
- L.A. Colors Grafix Liquid Eyeliner- Sigh, I used to use this all the time simply because it was cheap. But ladies, don’t bother. While I do like the applicator (i’m partial to felt tip) the formula bombs. Within an hour you’re in for a cracking, crumbly, fading mess that leaves you looking like someone sprinkled coal dust on your face. No thanks.
- L.A. Colors Liquid Eyeliner- The applicator is pretty difficult to use without getting it all over the place and if you don’t have an extremely steady hand then this isn’t for you. Also the formula is similar to the Grafix, except very sheer so you have to apply coat after coat.
- Maybelline GreatLash- Don’t hate me! While this product has been a cult favorite for years (and I mean YEARS) I just do not like it. I am a fan of huge, long lashes and despite all the hype this mascara just doesn’t do it for me. If you want a natural look you may like it though.
- Maybelline Falsies- Okay so real quick I would like to state that Maybelline has some of my holy grail mascaras (ahem CollosalVolume *coughcough*) but this is another one I didn’t like. It made my lashes way too clumpy and didn’t give me the promised length and volume unless I caked it on. I’ll stick to my yellow tube thank you very much.
- Wet n Wild MegaLength Mascara- The formula crumbles all over the place and honestly doesn’t give me the length it promises. At all. While my lashes were indeed darker, the length wasn’t noticeably different.
- Hard Candy Sparkle Cream Eyeshadow- creasing almost immediately + the fact that it is pretty much Vaseline with a thin touch of glitter makes this one of the worst eyeshadows I have ever tried. The one time I tried it left me such a glittery oily mess I threw it away immediately.
- Revlon Illuminance Cream Eyeshadow Quad- This stuff has no pigment and creases intensely. Why are cream eyeshadows that are worth a damn so hard to find?!? I did not like this product at all
- L.A. Colors 12 Color Eyeshadow- Okay, I would like to say that I adore some of L.A. Colors products and I know that quite a few products have made it onto this list but please try out their other products they are so affordable and there are a lot of gems. Anyway, I’m sure all of us have seen these palettes from time to time. And hey 12 shadows for $1 seems too good to be true. Because it is too good to be true. The fallout is insane plus there is no pigment, the formula is chalky AF, and it seems to exaggerate lines (and I’m 22 so where the hell does this stuff find lines to sink into?!?) Definitely not a win in my book
So there you have it guys, my list of duds. I hope this helps you out the next time you’re out to pick up a product. Again, each of these brands has tons of products that are fabulous AND if you love any of these products then carry on. Remember- Everyone and their opinions are different. For more posts like this as well as reviews, tutorials, and tips please follow my blog (I follow back!!) and if you enjoyed this post or have a crappy product you want to share with us please comment below! Love as Always- Amber